CALL FOR COMPOSERS!
APPLICATIONS DUE BY JUNE 8, 2018
- Composers must reside in Michigan; Two of the four selected composers will be residents of Wayne/Oakland/Macomb counties.
- Composers must be 30 years of age or under;
- Applicants may be of any level of schooling or post-schooling;
- Applicants must attend both rehearsals and the premiere (and ideally, our pizza party);
- Completion of the online application inclusive of:
- Short answers of why you’re interested in the project, etc;
- Your preference for instrumentation of your work, if selected;
- Two contrasting scores and recordings, preferably either or both an example of writing acoustic chamber music for 1-6 players;
SELECTED COMPOSERS RECEIVE
- $400 Award;
- Commission to write a 6-9 min. work for subset of 2 Violins, Viola, Cello, and Piano;
- Premiere on September 9th at the Detroit Institute of Arts;
- Audio Recording of the premiere performance;
- Participation in 2 rehearsals with musicians and other selected composers;
- Invitation to a pizza party.
This project aims to connect early-career, Detroit-area composers with musicians in their community. The September 2018 concert will feature six world premieres by artists that perform regularly in numerous Detroit-based ensembles. With support provided by the Michigan Council for Arts & Affairs (MCACA) New Leaders Program we are offering four commissions for composers to write a new chamber work for premiere on September 9, 2018 at the Detroit Institute of Arts’ historic Lecture/Recital Hall.
Yuri Popowycz, violin
Kellen Degnan, cello
Harriet Steinke, composer
This project is made possible with generous support from the Michigan Council for Arts & Cultural Affairs.